Location June 1949:
Carlin & Fried, Inc.
Location Office & Factory February 1950:
Marc Resnick has provided the some details on Carlin & Fried, which was formed in 1943. Marc's great-aunt Fannny Resnick Carlin (sister of Julius Resnick JRJuliusResnick) came to this country in the early 20th Century. She had married Morris Carlin in the Old COuntry. He became a principle in Supreme Leather Goods Company SupremeLeatherGoods and later Carlin & Fried, a patrnership with his son-in-law Louis Fried, who married his daughter in 1931. After Morris' death in 1953, Louis Fried merged with Carlin Bros. to form Carlin Bros. Fried CarlinBrosFriedto direct designing and promotion and assist with production.
Display ad June 1949 "Handbag Buyer" page 50
Quarter page ad "Handbags and Fashion Accessories" February 1950, page 14
A story in the Trade News column on page 58 explains the merger.
Carlin Bros, and Carlin & Fried,
bag firms have effected a merger as of January 1, 1955. The firm now is known as Carlin Bros. & Fried, Inc. with showroom and office at 330 Fifth Avenue, New York, the previous home of Carlin Bros. Under the new set up, Harry Carlin will be in charge of sales and Max Carlin will handle production operations. Louis Fried, sole owner of Carlin & Fried since Morris Carlin's death in 1953, will direct designing and promotion and assist with production.
They will continue making $3 retail fabric and plastic bags in its five plants. The new firm plans a greatly increased production."
Bags for Spring 1956 were presented on January 3, 1956 by agreement as a member of the National Authority for the Ladies Handbag Industry. 1956NationalAuthorityMembers